Tuesday, December 7, 2010

I just went into Myspace, and I couldn't sort it all out. The new format has me completely baffled, so I will make an attempt to do something with my now dormant account soon. I'm not sure if anybody checks Myspace anymore, but I will keep it around.

My time has been taken up with so many things. For once in my life the things that are taking up all of my time are enjoyable ones. I'm happy about that. I will try to fill you in the best I can.

I can remember the attitude and the excuses. I also remember the feeling of helplessness, and how it affects your whole life. I'm talking, of course, about the teenagers in rehab. I can now say that I've seen it from both sides. It isn't easier for me, observing, than it was for me as a participant. My participation will be in the form of support and encouragement. I am so looking forward to the day when I can work with teenagers who are going through exactly what I went through. I walked the same grounds I did several years ago. I've had the opportunity to work with individuals who, like me, threw their lives into the wind, hoping to end up anywhere else but alive. It doesn't surprise me, either, that the majority of these teens are from upper-class income families. When people think about substance abuse rehabilitation, we think about the inner city. That is not the case here. These are the Hollywood brats. The stories they tell go from frightening to the sublime. Some of their stories have a painful familiarity. But I am the one who can look them in their eyes and tell them that I know exactly what they're going through. I believe that will help. I have also developed a rapport with several of the teenagers. I am so grateful for this opportunity to substantiate my belief that I can be useful in this field. The teaching part will be easy. The counseling part will be part bookwork and experience. I've been told to allow the experience to complement the bookwork, but it should never overrule it. I will keep that in mind.

I'll be back in school in January. I'm still sorting out the minor details, such as how many classes and how many hours per day. I will do what I can do.

I also work as much as I can. You might be wondering if I have any spare time at all. I do, but I have been doing a lot of preliminary studying, preparing for school and supplementing what I'm learning at the center. And don't think I never get out of bed not in the mood to deal with people who are angry at the world.

Other than all that, there's little to report. I'm still here. I'm busy, but everything is good. I'll do my best to post when I can. Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. I posted a comment, but it doesn't seem to have registered so I'll try again.

    Especially because you've told me that I am one of the few that read your Blog, I am so very happy that you took the time and effort to write it.

    I find it incredible that you've not only come to terms with your past, but, that you've been able to turn it around and put it to good use helping others.

    My volunteer work is just about over for the year. Have only one event left (did about 40 this year)and this one will aid seven different non-profits, one of them being an organization that helps gay teenagers.

    Best Wishes to You, David and the rest of your Family for a Very Merry and Meaningful Christmas.

    And at this time of the year I will sign it:

    LOVE,
    Jerry

    ReplyDelete