Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A long-overdue update.

I'm sorry for the delay in posting in this blog. I have been experiencing a lot of problems getting to my email and to Blogger. I have attempted to reply to emails but I don't get any confirmation of email sent. I have been experiencing a very slow response time at best. I consider myself fortunate in that I was able to connect tonight, only through extreme patience and perseverance. I was able to read about half of my emails, but I have also kept them in my inbox to read again in the evening.

All is going well. My schedule is completely flexible, but I am enjoying doing what I can, and I have been able to stick to a routine, which is appreciated by the class. I am enjoying the teaching I've been doing, and the free time has been wonderful. I am enjoying the beach...still haven't taken the surfing lessons I have been promised, but I will do that before I leave.

David's last day is Thursday. I tried to enter a post stating that David would not be here for the entire four months, but I was unable to post it. His being here has made this paradise truly paradise. He has provided me with the support I needed when I was feeling down. I have had a few down days, but this is due to my being so far away from home. Fortunately, however, the down days are few and not long lasting.

I knew I had gotten into a routine the day David asked me if I was going to post in my blog, and I said that I had nothing new to report. That isn't quite true. We have done some fishing, and we got to meet some of the local fishermen. As you would imagine, fish is a staple here; so is rice. In other words, their fish is like our chicken. You can cook it so many ways, but I want to make this perfectly clear, folks. It doesn't taste like chicken.

I will need to look up a recipe for a salad we had. It was cold, and it had rice, some vegetables of varying color, and chunks of fish. It was almost like a seafood salad that we might buy at Ralph's, but I have not been able to find a Ralph's here. I heard a rumor that McDonald's serves Big Macs made out of fish. Um...no. I wonder what they serve at KFC!

There are a lot of Chinese, or what urbanites call "Asian" restaurants. Some of the local dishes are difficult to identify, but I had a grilled fish that was wrapped in banana leaves and had a salty seasoning on it. It was served with a fried rice side dish with lumps of fish in it. It was very good. Once back in LA I will see what I can find, but David has already sent recipes back to the restaurant for testing. Can't wait!

We found it interesting that Balinese restaurants that serve Balinese food are nearly non-existent. Ginger, sesame seed oil, pepper, cloves, onion, lemon and cumin are favorite flavorings that will surely please your discriminating palate and offer your senses a feel for the flavors of paradise. One bite and you can feel the warm tropical breezes of the beaches of Bali. Sound good? I might use that when I announce the Balinese Grilled Snapper special. I hope it works in Los Angeles! However...armed with recipes and cooking tips, you Angelinos will want to keep your eyes open for some new specials. I hate burping ginger.

I am still scheduled to leave in mid-November, date uncertain right now. I haven't gotten tired of the boring weather and scenery yet. But what I wouldn't do for some prime rib!

I mentioned to someone that our accommodations are small, about 12 X 20, not much bigger than an RV, but it is comfortable and quiet. It will be much quieter after Thursday, but I'm trying not to think about that.

Rob should be here next week. I wonder what kind of entrance he'll make. He won't be far from here, so I look forward to some of his stories and a few laughs. And as I've learned, it only gets better.

That's it for today. I want to be over at the classroom by 10:30 and my ride will be here shortly.

Peace!

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are doing okay.

    I am glad David got to go with you and spend some time together.

    Hope ur able to update more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally -- I've beedn checking your blog twice a day since you last wrote. Glad all goes well.
    Am sure you'll miss David, but "don't cry because it is over; smile because it happened."

    Sure wish you'd be more descriptive in your next blog -- are you in a city or a town; is it a nipa hut or small home as we know it; what age are your students; are they accepting of your life-style, etc.

    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you posted again. I heard your Internet isn't all that reliable. Well, neither is mine.

    Devin and I talk about you all the time. He's here for now. We sure miss you, although we get updates from Mom, who gets them from your mom.

    The food. Yes, the food. You mentioned that, and maybe you could post a recipe. Maybe you could post. :P

    How does Skype work for you, and do you have to go to the hotel to get on at high speed? Just curious.

    Well, I sent you some emails updating you on what's going on here. I totally understand about reading and replying later. You know me!

    It's still hot here. Your weather sounds like the paradise you've described in your blog entries. I do envy you and wish I could climb into that second bed (unless Devin beats me to it) and listen to the ocean. I'd love to try my hand at teaching English.

    Devin is here, as you know. He's doing well with the business, and I guess it's a precursor to Dad's retiring. We shall see.

    You take it easy and enjoy every minute of it. You'll be back before you know it. We all send our love.

    ReplyDelete